Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bad Night's Sleep

Our son has the worst tolerance for pain of anyone I have ever known. If he sees so much as a drop of blood, he hollers and cries like he just had his leg cut off. So when his older sister brought him into the house yesterday with all the skin scraped off his toes on his right foot, I knew the course of my evening had changed. Thinking back, I probably shouldn't have put his foot under running water right away because I still haven't recovered full hearing in my left ear. Since cleaning the wound was out of the question, I put antibacterial ointment on the bandage and put it on his foot. For the next hour he traded off crying and screaming on the couch that his toes stung. Before my husband went crazy, I cradled him in my arms and walked him up and down the street until he calmed down. It's amazing what cool Hawaiian breezes, a sunset and soft singing can do for a child. Wish I had someone to do that to me sometimes. After that, everything was okay until midnight when we were awaken with whimpering and crying. Our son crawled in bed between us and for the next 4 hours we slept on and off until I finally told him that if he doesn't stop, I'm taking him to his own bed. I'm sure we will laugh at this for years to come at my poor son's expense. However, what I will remember most is when he told me on the couch last night that the only thing that will make him better is Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment