Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Our Best Moments on Hawaii

When 3rd Marine Regiment trucked in snow for Christmas!!!
Snow ball fight with the amphibious crews.


Waikiki Beach!!!














The USS Missouri





Pearl Harbor












































































Luau's







































































































































Shark's Cove



















































Eating shrimp on the North Shore

















































































































Searching for ghosts on the Old Pali Highway where King Kamehameha's troops forced hundreds of Oahu warriors to their death over the Pali Cliffs.






































































































































































The hike to Mokapu Lighthouse and the view from up top!!!












































































































Joseph hunting for geckos.





































Overcoming my fear and killing a giant centipede that wrecked havok in our house one night while Jason was on the mainland.












































































Ukulele solos







































Getting lei's for everything!!!
















































































Coconuts!!!!









































Bellows beach when the sun goes down.











































Snorkeling












































Kayaking with my Mom













































Mom and Don coming to visit

























































































Meeting my Mom's cousin and his wife and going to a Korean restaurant to try new food.






























































































Paddle Boarding on Waikiki




































































































Kayaking Kaneohe Bay



















































We found a coconut floating in the water and discovered it had shark teeth stuck in it.







































































































































































































































































































































































































Banana Trees



























































Haunama Bay

























































































































































































Picking up chicken at a roadside stand and eating dinner along the beach.































































Haunama Bay!!!!!


































































































































Trick or treating on Ford Island where we could feel the soul of the abandoned Luke Airfield and the dead of the Arizona Memorial around us.












































































































































































































The Banyon Trees!!!!





































































Eating ice cream at Hale Koa after a long day at the beach.






































































Nachos at Margaritaville.







































































Sitting out on a surfboard in the waves of Waikiki watching the surfers with Diamond Head in the background.







































































Pineapple ice cream at the Dole Plantation.








































































Staying at the Military Camp in Volcano National Park. The air was cool and fresh and I could go on morning walks without seeing another soul.





















































































































































Walking over brittle, sharp lava flows to watch lava pour into the ocean.











































































Going to the Big Island and wearing coats because it was so cold. Our bodies were tired of tropical weather and soaked in the cold like it was a necessity for our existence.






















































































































































The most beautiful evening of my life was when we sat out on an old lava flow and watched lava pour into the ocean on the Southern shores of The Big Island. I felt so remote and far away from the rest of the world, watching this grand phenomena. It was magic.

































































































































































































































Standing on top of Mauna Kea. There's nothing like being over 13,000 feet and freezing cold in Hawaii!!!!






















































































































































Smelling pine trees on The Big Island when we were so homesick.











































































Kilauea Volcano











































































Lava Tubes











































































Giving the kid's experiences that most kids never get.











































































Living like a castaway.











































































The sea turtles or Honu as Hawaiians call them. The best part was snorkeling with them as they fed off the reefs in Haunama Bay. They were practically tame there. When we saw them in the water's off base, they wouldn't let you near them.











































































I would like to work with the manta ray's every day.










































































Swimming with the giant manta ray's at night out in the open ocean.











































































Watching the kids learn where pearls come from.

No two beaches are alike in Hawaii. There's nothing like rounding a bend and discovering a new beach.


Akaka Falls on the Big Island.

The farmer's markets!!!! So many exotic fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers and art it makes you want to cry!

Eating Thanksgiving dinner in a dumpy diner in Hilo on the Big Island.

Bellow's Beach!!!! I think this is the time Jason and the kids didn't tell me there were Man-of-War Jelly fish in the water and I swam right into one thinking it was a long string. That thing wrapped itself around my arm three times and I thought I had just stuck my arm into a fire. I had too much pride to scream, but you can bet it hurt. After that, I was always a little afraid every time I got in the water at Bellow's.

No comments:

Post a Comment